On August 13, AGL Atlanta held its latest wellness lunch & learn session. This month’s topic was “Balancing Nutrition,” a shared event with our corporate guests, Global Aerospace. Our presenter was Page Love, MS, RD, LD, CSSD, registered and licensed dietitian/nutritionist, of Nutrifit Sport Therapy Inc. (www.nurtifitga.com
Page began by posing the following questions for participants to consider:
- What does your plate look like?
- Do you skip breakfast or other meals?
- Are you drinking a minimum of 80 ounces (10 cups) of hydrating fluids per day?
She advised us to set one goal to balance our nutrition with a dietary change. For example, if that goal is to add more vegetables to one’s diet, she suggested:
- Making V8 juice, V8 Splash, or tomato juice one of your drink choices
- Adding lettuce and tomato to a sandwich
- Eating raw vegetables as sides
- Trying soup with lots of vegetables or a vegetable smoothie
- Eating nutrient-dense vegetables such as Romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes, cabbage and avocado
Page also made suggestions for menu planning and shared tips on portion sizes, including:
- Eat at least 3 regular meals and 2 snacks per day
- Try not to go more than 3-4 hours without eating
- Include adequate servings of each food group at every meal
- Plan 3-4 ounces of protein at least twice a day
- Consume small amounts (1 teaspoon) of fat at each meal to help with satiety and stabilizing blood sugar
- Aim to have both a protein and carb at snack time
- Drink at least 8 ounces of decaffeinated beverage with each meal and aim for 16 ounces at each snack time